keskiviikko 17. kesäkuuta 2015

Classic Album Anniversary: Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (1985)


"Two hundred francs for sanctuary and she led me by the hand
To a room of dancing shadows where all the heartache disappears
And from glowing tongues of candles I heard her whisper in my ear
"'J'entend ton coeur"
I can hear your heart"

 I'll start this review with a funny story: I got into Marillion last fall, and after listening to Misplaced Childhood and enjoying it I ordered the album earlier this year from a webstore that shall not be named. One day a package arrived at my apartment, and you can only imagine my confusion and disappointment when I opened it to find a copy of a CD including hymns in Norwegian. Luckily I got the Marillion CD after an email exchange with the customer service, and now I can look back on the incident with amusement.

Misplaced Childhood is another legendary concept album from the 1980s, but compared to Operation: Mindcrime, this album's plot is much more abstract, which may have something to do with the fact that frontman Fish got the inspiration for the concept during an acid trip. Some of the themes dealt with in the lyrics include the loss of innocence and love, but there is also a happy ending.

The synth-driven atmospheric intro track "Pseudo Silk Kimono" leads into Marillion's biggest hit, "Kayleigh", whose success was so massive that it inspired countless parents in the UK to name their girl babies after the song in the 80s. Luckily I've never heard this song on the radio here in Finland, so I haven't had a chance to get tired of it - Steve Rothery's chorus-laden riff and melodic guitar solo are awesome, and the chorus is catchy. "Lavender" is another hit, and it's a short but sweet piano ballad - this must be the only song I know that was extended instead of being edited when it was released as a single! My favorite song on the album is the multipart epic "Bitter Suite" - I'm not sure whether my love for puns has something to do with that. This song shifts seamlessly from one feel to another and showcases Fish's talents as a lyricist: the way he paints pictures with words is stunning. "Heart of Lothian" provides a great ending for the first half of the album with its progginess.

Unfortunately Side B doesn't match the greatness of the first five songs. "Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)" is an uptempo track that ends before it's properly begun, and the transition to "Lords of the Backstage" is rather awkward, as acknowledged by keyboardist Mark Kelly in the reissue's liner notes. The 9½-minute "Blind Curve" brings the album back on track after the two interludes with its sad tone and beautiful clean guitars. "Childhood's End?" is a poppy piece that would've served as a good closer, but it's followed by "White Feather", which was the last track written for the album and fails to add anything to it in my opinion.

The musicianship on Misplaced Childhood is great, as is always the case with Marillion. The production is typically 80s with a big drum sound and lush synths, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the music. Kelly's keyboards are all over the album and Rothery plays brilliant solos. Fish's unique vocal style and colorful lyrics may not be for everyone and he goes over the top sometimes (both vocally and lyrically), but he has a lot of personality.

Personally I think Marillion have made a lot of better albums than Misplaced Childhood, but the fact that it managed to be so successful at a time when progressive rock was a curse word in the mainstream is very impressive. The legacy of the album also lives on, as Fish is performing the album live this year in its entirety. Misplaced Childhood isn't without its flaws in my eyes, but I can see why so many fans consider it a masterpiece.

Rating: 3.5/5


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti